Friday, October 05, 2007

It's Gonna Be Worth It...

Wow - it's been a long time since I've blogged!

I had an experience last week that still makes me smile. Let me share.

Sitting in an Innovate session last Friday and listening to Troy Gramling I received a text message from my 24 year old son, Tony. The message was:

Mom, thank u for everything.

Since I had no idea what he was thanking me for I texted back:

I love u baby - what am i being thanked 4?

To which he responds:

i'm just lucky you're my mom

At this point, two thoughts are going through my mind; what has he done or what does he want? I'm still sitting in session. My response to him:

U ok?

And in return:

Yea, I'm just thinking about what's important to me.

Yikes. Now I'm actively scared. Is he standing on a bridge getting ready to jump? Has he done something terrible and is trying to ease into telling me? I stand up and walk out of the session so I can call him. When he answers his cell he sounds calm enough and I ask him what's going on. He says he was listening to the oldies station at work and heard Whitney Houston's song, The Greatest Love of All and remembered that I used to sing that song to him at bedtime when he was a little boy. Gulp. Now I'm sitting on a bench outside the auditorium with tears streaming down my face.

I'm sharing this to let other parents of teenagers know that, even if you're struggling and wondering if you're doing the right thing, someday, It's Gonna Be Worth It just for moments like this.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, my word!!!! Tony's baby picture looks so much like Aiden did as a baby...that's crazy!

Sherry Ingle said...

Wow..kinda makes you forget any "tough, growing-up times" doesn't it? Neat story of a son's love for mom..thanks for sharing Julie!!

princess said...

Ah! Look how young you are! You looked like a baby yourself!

Very touching story - thanks for sharing!